Uncover the Hidden Gem of Santa Caterina, Reggio Calabria: Italy's Best-Kept Secret!
Santa Caterina: Holy Moly, This Place ACTUALLY Exists! (A Review That's Not Afraid to Get Real)
Okay, so I'm back. Just landed back in reality after a total whirlwind trip to Santa Caterina, Reggio Calabria, the supposed "best-kept secret" in Italy. And, honestly? It's not a total lie. This place… it's… something.
First off, let's be real: getting there. Accessibility? Yeah, you can get there. Airport transfer is on offer, thank god, because dragging your suitcase around in 90-degree heat after a flight is not my idea of a good time. Finding it wasn't too hard, the sign weren't as big as you'd expect. Getting around after that is pretty manageable too, they had on-site car parking for free AND valet service. But like, the roads are curvy, so if you're prone to motion sickness, pop some pills.
Accessibility is a mixed bag. I didn't specifically scope out everything, but I did spot a few things. There's an elevator, which is a definite win. And I saw signs about facilities for disabled guests. Hopefully, they work; I didn't test them.
Now, let's move on to the good stuff. The hotel itself? It's like stepping into a slightly faded postcard. Not in a bad way, mind you! It's got character. And the views… oh my god, the views. The pool with a view is pretty damn spectacular, and it's definitely a place to chill out and take it all in. I had my morning coffee on the terrace just staring out over the sea until the sun started to beam on my face, and it was just perfection. I swear, that spot felt like a proper escape.
Inside the rooms (Available in all rooms), it's a similar vibe. Air conditioning is a must in the Calabrian heat. The Wi-Fi [free] worked, thank goodness, because I needed to upload all those Instagram shots. Free bottled water? Yes, please! And the mini bar didn't gouge you on prices. My room had a private bathroom with a separate shower/bathtub. They even gave me fluffy bathrobes and slippers - a nice touch. I did have in-room safe box to put my passport, which is always reassuring, and a hair dryer. Plus, there’s a desk if you feel like working, but, honestly, who wants to?
Cleanliness and safety were clearly a priority. Things felt reassuringly spotless. They're using anti-viral cleaning products, and the staff is trained in safety protocols, it didn't feel like they were doing it to show off. I saw them doing daily disinfection in common areas, and there was hand sanitizer everywhere. They’ve got a doctor/nurse on call and a first aid kit which is important. Plus, you know, fire extinguisher and the usual stuff when you check the safety/security feature.
Food, glorious food! Let's talk dining, drinking, and snacking. The breakfast [buffet] was decent. There was a bit of everything, it was an enjoyable experience. I’m not a huge fan of Asian breakfast, so I skipped past that! The restaurants are decent; a few of them are on-site. The a la carte restaurant had some pretty amazing pasta (when in Italy, right?). There's a poolside bar, which is perfect for grabbing a cocktail after a swim. And the coffee/tea in the restaurant was surprisingly good! I skipped all the salad in restaurant but there were tons of options. And yes, they had a vegetarian restaurant which my friend loved. There was a desserts in restaurant which I recommend getting for after dinner. I'm not a big fan of soup in the restaurant, so I skipped that out. Just keep it simple.
Now, for the heart of it, the "chillax" zone: Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom. Okay, I didn't hit everything. But I did get a massage. Twice. Maybe three times. (Don't judge.) The massage was… well, it was the kind where you just melt into the table and forget your own name. Seriously. They have a proper Spa, and you can get the full range of treatments. There's a sauna and a steamroom, if you're into that kind of thing. The fitness center looked pretty decent if that's your jam.
Things to do – beyond stuffing my face and getting massaged – was surprisingly varied. Sure, the swimming pool [outdoor] was a major draw, and I certainly took advantage of that. Plus, I’m a sucker for any pool with a view. The shrine near the place was worth checking out, if you're into that.
Services and conveniences are a big deal for me. Daily housekeeping? Wonderful! Laundry service? A lifesaver. The concierge was super helpful, and they helped me find some amazing local spots. Cash withdrawal was easy, thanks to the ATM. Plus, there were facilities for disabled guests.
For the kids - I don't have kids, but I saw babysitting service. They had a bunch of kids facilities, so it's definitely family-friendly.
Internet was good by the way. I had no issues getting online, but the Internet access – LAN wasn't something I used, so can't comment on that.
Now, the rambling bits…
Okay, so, there's this tiny little detail that really sealed the deal for me. I was wandering around, a bit lost, when I stumbled upon this ancient olive grove. Seriously, the trees were older than my grandma. And there, tucked away under a giant umbrella pine, was a little table. And on that table… a bottle of local wine, some fresh bread, olives, and the most incredible sunset view I've ever seen. I didn't book that, I didn't ask for it, it just happened. And it was perfect. That's when I felt like I'd really discovered something special.
My Honest Verdict
Uncover the Hidden Gem of Santa Caterina? Yeah, it's a bit of hyperbole. But is it worth the trip? Absolutely. It's not perfect, sure, but the charm, the location, the people… it's all just right. And that feeling of finding something special? Unforgettable.
Booking Offer: Ditch the Ordinary, Discover the Extraordinary!
Ready to escape the mundane and experience the magic of Santa Caterina?
To celebrate your trip to this gem, we're offering:
- 20% Discount on all rooms for stays booked within the next month! (Use code: CALABRIAESCAPE)
- Complimentary bottle of local wine upon arrival! (Because, why not?)
- Free access to the Spa and Fitness center
- Free breakfast every day!
Book your stay NOW and discover Italy's best-kept secret! Don't delay, book your magical holiday with Uncover the Hidden Gem of Santa Caterina
P.S. Seriously, go. And bring sunscreen. And maybe a good book to read while you're getting massaged. You'll need it!
Ayutthaya: Thailand's Lost Kingdom Awaits Your Discovery!Alright, buckle up buttercups! This isn't your pristine, perfectly-photoshopped travel itinerary. This is a trip to Santa Caterina, Reggio Calabria, Italy – a place I've dreamt about for ages, a place I'm now about to experience, and honestly? I'm a little terrified. But in a good way! Let's see if I can make it through this without face-planting into a plate of spaghetti (though, let's be honest, that’s a definite possibility).
Santa Caterina, Reggio Calabria: A Messy, Beautiful Adventure (Tentative Itinerary – Subject to Change Because, You Know, Life)
Day 1: Arrival & Mild Panic
- Morning (Like, VERY Early): Arrive at Reggio Calabria Airport (REG). Okay, first hurdle: surviving the flight. I'm a terrible flier. White knuckles, silent prayers to the aviation gods…the whole shebang. Pray for me, people.
- The Taxi Saga: Assuming I’ve actually made it… taxi to Santa Caterina (about a 20-minute drive). Pray for a driver who speaks some English and doesn't try to convince me I need a timeshare. I'm already picturing myself gesturing wildly and butchering Italian phrases. "Dove… casa… mia?" Yup, that’s about my level.
- Afternoon: Hotel Check-in & Immediate Regret (Maybe?): Check into the hotel (still TBD – flexibility is the name of the game here). Hopefully, it's as charming in person as it looked online. Let's be real, though, I'm expecting something slightly less polished. My track record with online bookings isn't exactly stellar. Expectations… keep them low! I'll probably spend the first hour unpacking, staring blankly at the view, and wondering what the heck I’ve gotten myself into.
- Evening: Orientation & (Mostly) Failure: Attempt a gentle stroll around Santa Caterina. Find a gelato shop (essential). Order my gelato (probably in a confused scramble of Italian). Get lost (inevitable). End up feeling like a bewildered puppy. My first dinner will likely involve pointing at things on the menu while making hopeful, confused noises. Pray I don't order something with octopus. Cannot handle octopus.
Day 2: Beach Bliss (Or Maybe Just Sand Everywhere)
- Morning: Beach Time! (Fingers Crossed for Sunshine): Hit the beach! Sunscreen (check!), hat (check!), slightly optimistic attitude (maybe check?). I'm hoping to spend the morning basking in the sun, reading a book, and generally feeling like a sophisticated, worldly traveler. Reality: I'll probably get sand in every conceivable crevice, spend half the time squinting at the sun, and drop my book in the ocean.
- Lunch: Beachside Chaos: Find a beachside trattoria (another essential). Order something simple (pasta, maybe?). Watch the world go by, people-watching a good source of energy.
- Afternoon: Back to the Beach (More Sand, More Suffering?): Embrace the sand. Take a dip in the sea. Take a lot of photos of the sea.
- Evening: Dinner & Dramatic Views: Find a restaurant with a killer sea view. Try to eat everything. Order a bottle of local wine and then take in the sunset. I might cry. Beautiful things make me cry.
Day 3: Deep Dive and Local Experiences (Let's Get Messy)
- Morning: Scuba Diving (Or, More Likely, Attempting to Look Cool): This is the big one! I’ve booked a scuba-diving experience, which, on paper, sounds incredibly adventurous and cool. In reality: I’m slightly terrified of what lurks in the ocean’s depths. I'll probably be the over-prepared one.
- Lunch: Post-Diving Fuel: I will need fuel after the scuba diving.
- Afternoon: Cooking Class!!: I'm excited about this. I want to learn how to make real, genuine Italian food. I'll probably be completely useless, make a mess, and burn something. But I'll also laugh a lot, taste some incredible food, and hopefully learn a thing or two.
- Evening: Wine Tasting & Street Wandering (Lost Again?): Follow the advice of locals.
Day 4: Exploring Beyond (Maybe Getting a Little LOST)
- Morning: Day Trip to Reggio Calabria (Assuming I Can Navigate): A day trip to the city of Reggio Calabria seems like a good plan. Going to see the Bronzi di Riace (bronze statues). I'll have to figure out transport, which, depending on public transport, could be an adventure in itself.
- Lunch: City Exploration: Lunch in Reggio Calabria. Wander randomly, find a cafe, and watch the world go by.
- Afternoon: More Reggio Calabria: Explore the city. Get lost. Buy some souvenirs.
- Evening: Back to Santa Caterina: Dinner, relaxation, and planning for the next day
Day 5: Farewell Feast (Maybe Goodbye Tears)
- Morning: Last Beach Stroll: One last morning on the beach to soak up the beauty.
- Lunch: Final Meal: A final meal at a restaurant in Santa Caterina.
- Afternoon: Relax & Prepare: Packing, reminiscing about the trip, getting ready to fly out.
- Evening: Departure: Depending on my flight time, I probably will spend the evening in the hotel and then head to the airport.
Important Notes:
- Language: My Italian is atrocious. Pray for me, and/or prepare for lots of confused hand gestures.
- Food: I plan to eat everything. (Except the octopus.)
- Flexibility: This itinerary is a suggestion. I will probably wander off-course frequently. Which, honestly, is part of the fun.
- Emotions: Expect a roller coaster. I’m prone to bouts of extreme joy, mild panic, and the occasional dramatic sigh.
- Pictures: I'll take a million pictures. Prepare to be bombarded with photos of beaches, food, and me looking mildly bewildered.
So, there you have it. My ridiculously optimistic, probably-going-to-be-hilariously-chaotic plan for Santa Caterina. Wish me luck. I’m going to need it! And maybe… just maybe… I'll learn to love the octopus. (Okay, probably not.)
**OYO 9207 Chakri: Vizag's Hidden Gem? Unbeatable Price & Amazing Stay!**Santa Caterina, Reggio Calabria: Italy's Best-Kept Secret – Seriously, What's the Deal?
(Spoiler alert: It's NOT always sunshine and rainbows... but mostly it is!) Buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving DEEP.
Okay, okay, so Santa Caterina. What *is* it? Don't give me the tourist brochure spiel. I want the REAL dirt.
Alright, alright, settling in… So, Santa Caterina is this…well, it's a tiny little coastal village near Reggio Calabria. Think: the boot of Italy. And 'tiny' is no exaggeration. We're talking blink-and-you-miss-it territory. I nearly drove right past the sign the first time, convinced my GPS was playing a cruel joke on me. (It wasn't, by the way. My sense of direction, however...)
It's got a ridiculously beautiful beach, of course. The kind where the water is so turquoise it looks like someone spilled a vat of melted aquamarine ice cream. And the sand? Fine and golden, under your feet. *Sigh.* But that's the generic part. The REAL dirt? It's the *vibe*. It's a place where time seems to slow down. Where everyone knows everyone (and probably all their business). You can practically *taste* the salt and the gossip in the air. And you know what? I LOVE IT. Even when I'm annoyed by it. Which is often. (See below.)
So, it’s all beaches and beauty? Sounds suspiciously perfect. What's the catch? Spill the beans!
HA! As if anything in life is perfect! Okay, here’s the deal. The 'catch' is… well, it's got its quirks, let's call them that. Number one: getting there. The roads? Let's just say they're... *character-building*. Twisty, narrow, often with a sheer cliff on one side. I swear, the first time I drove, I swore I aged a decade in the space of twenty minutes. Pack Dramamine if you get motion sick, seriously. Because oh boy...
Then there's the... infrastructure. It's not exactly cutting-edge. Sometimes, the internet is slower than a snail on Mogadon. And let's not even talk about the phone signal. You’re lucky if you can actually *make* a call. Good for detoxing from the world, bad if you, you know, actually *need* to contact anyone.
And here's a little confession: the first restaurant I went to... the waiter was SO slow. Like, glacial. I'm talking an hour before the bread arrived. An HOUR. I was STARVING and I nearly lost it. But then, the food eventually showed up (and it was damn good!) and I realized… it's just the way things *are*. It's part of the charm. (Once you get over the initial hanger, that is.)
What is there *to do* in Santa Caterina besides, you know, breathing?
Okay, so *technically* you CAN do more than just breathe. Although, breathing is pretty fantastic in Santa Caterina. But seriously. Swimming, obviously. The water is crystal clear. Diving? Fantastic. Snorkeling? Even better, especially at the Grotta del Cavalluccio (Seahorse Cave).
But here's the thing: it's not a place for a jam-packed itinerary and if you're one of those tourists who needs a planned schedule or specific 'things to do', then this isn't for you. You *relax*. You read a book. You eat. You drink. You sit and stare at the sea for hours like a total weirdo (I do this all the time, it's therapeutic). You wander through the village, chat with the locals (even if you only know a few words of Italian), and just... *be*.
There's also hiking. Some trails are pretty challenging, especially in the summer heat. But the views... oh, the views. And then, of course, there's eating. Oh, the food! Fresh seafood, the best pasta I've ever had, local wine... I’m getting hungry just thinking about it.
Can you provide a 'day in the life' kind of experience, what do you actually DO there?
Okay, here’s a messy, imperfect, real-life day. Picture this:
Wake up (late, naturally). The sun is already blazing. My first thought? Coffee. Strong, black espresso. Downstairs to the little cafe on the corner (which the lovely old lady, Maria, *always* remembers how I like it, but also *always* gives me a little lecture about how I'm still too pale).
Then: beach. Towel, sunscreen… the works. I find my spot, settle in, and… *splashes*! A small child (who is probably related to Maria) runs past, nearly kicking sand in my eye. *Sigh*. Breathe. I read for a little while, but then the heat starts getting to me and I go for a swim. Coldest, most refreshing water EVER.
Lunch. The Trattoria on the beach. Pasta with fresh tomatoes and seafood. The waiter (who, like I've said, is a little slow, but a *good* slow) pours me a glass of local wine. Life is good.
Afternoon? More beach. Maybe a walk. Maybe a nap. I might even attempt to order a gelato at the little gelateria (and butcher the Italian language while doing it).
Evening: Aperitivo at a beach bar, watching the sunset. Dinner at... somewhere. Maybe the place with the incredible swordfish. Maybe the place where the owner yells at the kitchen staff (a good thing, apparently, because it means the food is amazing—I'm still not sure I understand the logic). Later? Stargazing. Because the sky is breathtaking. And you know what? Just... being. That's Santa Caterina. Messy, wonderful, and a little bit magical. And now I'm craving an espresso and the sea.
Okay, I'm intrigued. How do I get there? And is it expensive?
Getting there… that's the adventure. Fly into Lamezia Terme International Airport (SUF), which is a bit of a drive. Or, you can fly into Reggio Calabria Airport (REG), which is closer, but flights are fewer and often more expensive.
Then, you drive. *Remember the road warnings.* You could rent a car, but be prepared for those hairpin turns and narrow streets. The train *might* get you close, but you'll still need a taxi or a local bus. Then, you're talking about navigating bus schedules that probably are in Italian, so yeah…
As for expense? It's *relatively* affordable. Compared to, say, Positano or the Amalfi Coast, definitely. Accommodation can range from basic apartments (perfect!) to small, charming hotels. Food is generally reasonably priced, especially if you stick to the local trattorias. And let's be honest, you could spend a fortune on gelato and still feel like it's a bargain. Just… don't expect luxury. Expect real. And authentic. And worth every penny.