Uncover Sri Lanka's Hidden Gem: Habarana & Sigiriya's Lost Treasure!
Uncover Sri Lanka's Hidden Gem: Habarana & Sigiriya's Lost Treasure! - My (Messy, Honest, and Ultimately Sold!) Review
Okay, friends. Buckle up. Because I've just returned from a trip to Sri Lanka, specifically Habarana and Sigiriya, and the "Uncover Sri Lanka's Hidden Gem" hotel… well, let's just say it’s a whole vibe. My review? Not your polished, PR-approved spiel. This is real life, warts and all, fueled by too much delicious Sri Lankan coffee and the lingering taste of… well, let's get into it.
First off, the promise of "Hidden Gem" is a big one. Does it deliver? Mostly. Definitely in terms of its location. Accessibility to the cultural sites is a breeze. We zipped from the hotel to Sigiriya Rock Fortress in like, ten minutes. Ten minutes! You can even cycle there, which, spoiler alert, I did not do (humidity + me = a sweaty mess). Airport transfer was smooth. They got us there, no drama. Car park [free of charge] – always a win!
Things to Do & Those Ways to Relax… Or Try To!
Let's talk about those options. The pool with view? Chef's kiss. Stunning. Seriously, I spent a solid chunk of my trip just staring at the turquoise water and the vibrant green jungle beyond. The swimming pool [outdoor] is a perfect place to wind down after a hot day. I'm not gonna lie. I had HIGH hopes for the spa/sauna, the massage, and that Body scrub. I'm all for a good body scrub. The spa turned out to be okay-ish. It's maybe not THE BEST spa experience you'll ever have, but after climbing Sigiriya (more on THAT later), it was… adequate. The sauna felt more like a gentle warm room rather than a proper sweat lodge. Now, the massage, though? That was where things got interesting. Let me just say, there was a… miscommunication about the pressure. I asked for "medium," I got "deep tissue with a sprinkle of existential dread." But hey, at least I felt something, right?
The Fitness center? I’m not a big fitness buff, more of a "walk to the buffet" kind of person. But the equipment looked modern enough. They even have a gym/fitness area!
Cleanliness and Safety – Gotta Be Honest Here
Okay, let's get real. Cleanliness and safety are critical these days. And the hotel? They take it seriously. Anti-viral cleaning products, professional-grade sanitizing services, rooms sanitized between stays – all good signs. They had hand sanitizer everywhere. Staff trained in safety protocol… I saw it with my own eyes. My room was spotless, and I felt very comfortable.
But here’s a little secret. There's always going to be a lingering niggling feeling. No place will ever feel perfectly sterile. But the hotel does all it can.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – My Food Diary (aka, My Favorite Part)
Alright, the food. Sri Lankan food is… AMAZING. And this is where the hotel really shines. They've got a buffet in restaurant. Breakfast was an absolute feast. The Asian breakfast was insane – I'm talking curries, hoppers (those fluffy pancakes), fresh fruit that exploded with flavor. They even offer Western breakfast for those who aren’t feeling adventurous. They had an A la carte in restaurant for lunch and dinners with Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, and even a Vegetarian restaurant.
Now, the coffee/tea in restaurant? Sublime. Seriously. Stock up on those little coffee packets at the gift shop because, trust me. Coffee is life. The poolside bar was a lifesaver. Perfect for a post-climb cocktail (or two). I'm a fan. The Happy hour was pretty solid too.
Services and Conveniences – The Little Things Matter
This is where I really started to appreciate the hotel. Air conditioning in public area? Essential. Daily housekeeping? My room always felt fresh. Laundry service? Saved my life. Cash withdrawal? Super convenient. They even had a gift/souvenir shop where I actually found some awesome stuff… not the usual tourist tat. The staff were super helpful.
But here’s a complaint – the Wi-Fi in public areas wasn't as strong as it should be. It was a bit spotty at times, which was annoying because I had some deadlines. The Internet was, well, let's just say it wasn't blazing fast.
For the Kids – (If You’re Traveling with Little Humans)
I didn't have kids on this trip, but I saw families having a grand time. The hotel offers Babysitting service, Kids facilities, and Kids meal options. I saw kids in the pool. I saw kids enjoying the buffet. Seemed like a win-win.
Now, Let's Get Real About Sigiriya (And Why You Should Definitely Go)
Okay, Sigiriya. The Rock Fortress. Prepare to be amazed. Prepare to be humbled. Prepare to sweat like you’ve never sweated before. Climbing that thing is a bit of a trek. Okay, it’s a lot of a trek. But the views from the top? Absolutely worth it. The hotel's location makes getting there a breeze, and you can go early to beat the heat. The climb is intense, and the stairs are uneven, so be prepared. Bring water. Lots of water. And remember. The views. The views are worth it.
(And let’s not forget the other sites!)
Accessibility The paths to the top of the rock are a major challenge. The hotel and site are NOT wheelchair accessible
The Rooms – My Oasis of Calm (Mostly)
My room, a non-smoking haven, was a haven of comfort. Air conditioning? Check! Free Wi-Fi in all rooms? Check! Air conditioning was a godsend. The bed was comfy, the blackout curtains actually worked (bliss!). The bathrobes were fluffy. Now, the coffee situation in the rooms wasn’t as good as at the restaurant. Definitely bring your own instant.
The Additional toilet, bathroom phone, bathtub, alarm clock, closet, complimentary tea, desk, extra long bed, free bottled water, hair dryer, in-room safe box, interconnecting room(s) available, internet access – LAN, internet access – wireless, ironing facilities, laptop workspace, linens, mini bar, mirror, on-demand movies, private bathroom, reading light, refrigerator, satellite/cable channels, scale, seating area, separate shower/bathtub, shower, slippers, smoke detector, socket near the bed, sofa, soundproofing, telephone, toiletries, towels, umbrella, visual alarm, wake-up service, wi-fi [free], window that opens – all the things you need.
My Final Verdict – And Why You Should Book This Hotel
Listen, this hotel isn’t perfect. It’s got its quirks. But it is a fantastic base to explore the magic of Habarana and Sigiriya. The location is perfect. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food is delicious. The rooms are comfortable. And the pool? Chef’s kiss. The imperfections are part of the charm. It's a true "Hidden Gem".
My advice? Book it. Go. Experience Sri Lanka. And don't forget to drink the coffee.
---
SEO-Focused Offer (Because Why Not?):
Tired of the Same Old Vacation? Discover Untapped Beauty at "Uncover Sri Lanka's Hidden Gem: Habarana & Sigiriya's Lost Treasure!"
Escape the ordinary and immerse yourself in the breathtaking landscapes and culture of Sri Lanka. Book your stay at this incredible Habarana & Sigiriya hotel and experience:
- Unbeatable Location: Explore Sigiriya Rock Fortress, Dambulla Cave Temple, and other stunning attractions with ease.
- Luxurious Comforts: Enjoy well-appointed rooms with Free Wi-Fi, Air Conditioning, and all the amenities you need for a relaxing stay.
- Culinary Delights: Savor authentic Sri Lankan cuisine, international favorites, and refreshing drinks at our on-site restaurants and bar. Plus, enjoy our breakfast buffet!
- Relaxation and Rejuvenation: Unwind by our beautiful outdoor pool, indulge in a rejuvenating massage, or explore our spa facilities.
- Safety and Hygiene: We prioritize your health and safety with thorough cleaning protocols, hand sanitation stations, and staff trained in safety procedures.
Special Offer:
Book your stay now and receive a complimentary… (insert compelling offer based on seasonality or availability, e.g., "complimentary upgrade to a room with a pool view," "free airport transfer," "discounted spa treatment")!
Don't miss out on this unforgettable experience. Book your stay at "Uncover Sri Lanka's Hidden Gem" today!
**Keywords (Integrated Naturally
Escape to Paradise: Saikat Saranya Resort, Mandarmoni's Hidden GemOkay, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's itinerary. We're heading to The Treasure in Habarana, Sri Lanka, and trust me, it's gonna be less "perfectly planned" and more "hold on to your sarong, this is gonna be a ride."
The Messy, Beautiful Chaos: Habarana & Sigiriya, Sri Lanka
Day 1: The Arrival & The Jungle Boogie
- Morning (or, when my body decides to cooperate with time zones): Land in Colombo. Jet lag. The usual. Finding our driver, a lovely chap named Rohan (or was it Roshan? Damn, I'm terrible with names after 20 hours of travel), who looks like a sun-baked Buddha. He's holding a sign with my name, written approximately 3 feet tall in what I think is Comic Sans. Already, Sri Lanka, you’re charming the pants off me. The drive to The Treasure starts – expect hours of winding roads and a symphony of honking. This is a good thing!
- Afternoon: Arrive at The Treasure. First impressions? Lush. Overwhelmingly lush. Like, the jungle is practically breathing on us. We check in, the staff are all smiles, and suddenly I’m offered a welcome drink – some kind of fruity concoction that tastes suspiciously like paradise. We’re shown to our “chalet.” Okay, it’s an actual TREEHOUSE. My inner child is screaming. The outer adult is slightly worried about the…ahem… spiders.
- Late Afternoon: We decided to chill by the pool. Now, remember those lush surroundings? They’re teeming with life. We’re talking monkeys swinging through the trees, birds with plumage like miniature rainbows, and a family of HUGE lizards sunbathing by the pool. I swear one of them gave me the side-eye like, “Lady, you’re in MY territory.” I’m pretty sure I saw a snake do a drive-by as well. Slightly on edge, but beautiful. So very beautiful.
- Evening: Dinner. A buffet! I love buffets! And this one is a feast of Sri Lankan delights. Dosa, hoppers, curries… I attack the food with the enthusiasm of a starving lion. My spice tolerance is… well, let’s just say I’ll be carrying a water bottle everywhere. The sound of the jungle at night is a lullaby and a warning. It’s magnificent.
Day 2: Sigiriya Rock & An Unholy Amount of Climbing
- Morning: Wake up to the sound of… monkeys on our roof. Seriously. They’re swinging, chattering, and probably plotting world domination. After what feels like a quick shower, it is time for the climb of Sigiriya Rock. I'm not in great shape so it’s going to hurt, but the views are legendary, right? The driver took us there – it’s basically a giant monolith rising from the jungle. It looks genuinely epic.
- Mid-Morning: The climb. Oh, the climb. It started with the promise of grand views and ended with me questioning all my life choices. The stairs are uneven, the sun is relentless, and I'm pretty sure I saw a lizard wink at me as I struggled. The frescoes are beautiful, though. The ladies of Sigiriya are the best preserved pieces of art I've seen in my life.
- Lunch: After the climb, we were absolutely starving! There’s a little local place at the base of the rock. This is where I discovered the true meaning of "delicious." Street food is the way of life.
- Afternoon: Back at the Treasure: Pool time to recover. I discovered a new level of laziness. Poolside reading, then a nap under the shade of a giant mango tree. Bliss.
- Evening: The Jeep Safari: This feels like the real deal. The safari. We bounced through the bush, the sun setting, painting the sky in fiery hues. We spotted elephants! Majestic, gentle giants. We saw crocodiles that looked like they were on vacation. I found a family of monkeys at the water's edge, playing, and I am completely captivated. It was the kind of moment that makes you believe in magic. Pure, unadulterated, animal-filled wonder. Dinner at the hotel – a quieter affair tonight, still delicious.
Day 3: Dambulla Cave Temples & The Great Temple of the Golden Buddha
- Morning: After a nice breakfast, we head out to Dambulla. Okay, history time! The Dambulla Cave Temples. It’s a complex of cave temples carved into a massive rock face. I can take art, I can do history, and it’s a nice cool place to explore.
- Mid-Morning: Into the temples! The statues of Buddha were spectacular. Gold, and peaceful. The monks are wonderful. It’s a powerful experience, and I’m genuinely humbled.
- Lunch: A local spot again. I’m slowly getting used to the spice. It’s a journey, people. A spicy, delicious, tear-inducing journey. Good food, great people.
- Afternoon: Back to The Treasure: Pool day (again!) and a massage. The massage was incredible! I think all the climbing, walking, and general over-enthusiasm finally caught up with me.
- Evening: Cooking Class: The hotel offers cooking classes. I am not a cook. In fact, I nearly burned down my college dorm trying to make instant noodles. But I gave it a go. The chef was patient, the food was amazing, and I didn’t start a fire. Success! The evening ended with a final evening in the bar.
Day 4: Departure, Heart Full, Luggage Heavy, and A Mind Full of Monkeys.
- Morning: One last jungle-sound-infused breakfast. Say goodbye to our amazing treehouse. I’m surprisingly sad. I’ve grown to love the chaos, the monkeys, the heat.
- Mid-Morning: Last-minute souvenir shopping. The market is a riot of colours, smells, and bartering. I haggle like a pro, or at a least, I think I do. I end up buying way more spices than I’ll ever use.
- Lunch: A final, farewell-to-Sri-Lanka meal. I’m ordering a curry, of course.
- Afternoon: Drive to Colombo. Reflecting on the trip. I swear, just as we were leaving, a monkey swung in front of our car and looked straight at me. He gave me that same, knowing look.
- Evening: Arrive at the airport. Say our goodbyes. Head back home. Exhausted, sun-kissed, and with a heart full of Sri Lankan magic. And a craving for curry that won’t quit.
The Imperfections…
- I lost my sunglasses. Probably somewhere near Sigiriya Rock.
- My attempts at speaking Sinhala were… embarrassing.
- I definitely ate too much. And drank too much Arrack. No regrets.
- I encountered a truly epic downpour that left me resembling a drowned rat.
Final Thoughts:
Sri Lanka, you are an assault on the senses in the best possible way. This trip was a reminder to embrace the mess, the unexpected, the moments that don't go to plan. Also, I am absolutely going to learn how to make a decent curry. And maybe, just maybe, I'll try to find a way to bring a monkey home. (Just kidding… mostly.) This was an incredible adventure. Go! Just go!
Park Plaza Gurgaon: Your Luxury Delhi NCR Escape Awaits!Uncover Sri Lanka's Hidden Gem: Habarana & Sigiriya's Lost Treasure! (AKA, My Messy Adventure)
Okay, okay, so Habarana & Sigiriya... What's the Big Deal? Seriously, Why Bother?
Right, so, if you're thinking, "Another ancient ruin? Snore," STOP RIGHT THERE. Habarana and Sigiriya aren't just *another* anything. Picture this: you, sweating buckets (it's Sri Lanka, embrace the humidity!), and then BOOM, the Lion Rock. It's a freaking fortress built on top of a giant rock. And it's stunning. I mean, jaw-dropping. I almost cried when I saw it. Don't judge me.
Habarana is the less glamorous, but super chill base. Think lush greenery, elephant safaris (yes, REAL elephants!), and the kind of peace that makes you want to actually *unplug* your phone. Which I, admittedly, failed to do completely. Instagram is a siren song, you know? Anyway, you get the point. It's a vibe. A VERY good vibe.
Climbing Sigiriya: Is It as Grueling as Everyone Says? My Thighs Are Already Screaming.
Ugh, yes. Absolutely. Brutally. But WORTH IT. Okay? WORTH. IT. I went with this super optimistic friend, let's call her Sarah. She was all, "It'll be fine! Think of the views!" Bless her heart.
It's a staircase of agony at times. You'll be cursing the architect. You'll be wondering if that banana you ate at breakfast was worth the effort. (Spoiler: maybe not.) But just as you think you’re going to collapse, you glimpse the frescoes. Delicate women, vibrant colours... it takes your mind off the screaming of your quads. Just try avoiding tourists, they're probably more annoying than the climb itself.
And then... the summit. Oh, the summit. The view is ridiculous. You can see for miles. I felt like I was on top of the world. (Okay, maybe not the world, but a really, really big rock in Sri Lanka).
Elephants! Tell Me About the Elephants! (Specifically, How Close Can I Get?)
The elephants… ahhh, the elephants. Okay, here’s the deal: Habarana is PRIME for elephant safaris. And yes, you can get relatively close. I went on a jeep safari, which is the way to go. You’ll be bumping around in the jungle, sweating (again, embrace it!), and hoping to catch a glimpse.
The best part? Witnessing them in their natural environment. Seeing a baby elephant playing in the water? Heart. Completely. Melted. Seriously, pack tissues. I cried again. I’m a mess, I know.
Now, keep a respectful distance. These are wild animals, not circus performers. Don't be that person who tries to touch them. Just… don't.
I'm a History Buff. Are there ACTUAL interesting ruins? (Beyond just the massive rock, I mean).
Oh honey, YES. You’re in the right place. Sigiriya IS the main event, but there's also the Pidurangala Rock Temple, a bit more challenging but, a little less tourist-heavy than Sigiriya. It's an awesome alternative. Not to mention the Dambulla Cave Temples, which are amazing, but slightly too far to include in this trip. They are an easy day trip, though. Think ancient cave paintings, Buddhas (BIG Buddhas), and a sense of history that’ll knock your socks off.
Just prepare yourself for the crowds. Touristy places attract, well, tourists. Try going early, or slightly later in the afternoon, to avoid the worst of the heat and the masses. You'll still get hot though, just a little less irritated, haha.
Accommodation: What's the Vibe? Backpacking? Luxury? Somewhere In Between?
Everything! Habarana caters to all budgets. You can find charming guesthouses, basic budget stays, or super-luxe hotels with infinity pools overlooking the jungle. I went for a place with a pool, because, let's be honest, after climbing that rock, you NEED a pool. It was heavenly. I think it was called something like "The Lazy Lemur Lodge". (I may or may not have made that up.) Regardless, shop around. Do your research. Read reviews. And don't be afraid to haggle a little!
Just make sure you book in advance, especially if you're traveling during peak season. Nobody wants to sleep on a park bench (unless you're REALLY hardcore, in which case, respect).
Food, Glorious Food! What Should I Eat? (And Where?)
Oh. My. Goodness. The food. This is where Sri Lanka really shines. Rice and curry is a must. It's a daily ritual. Seriously. You'll get a massive plate piled with rice, and then a ton of different curries: vegetable, chicken, fish… all bursting with flavour. It's incredibly cheap and so, so delicious. My favourite was jackfruit curry. I still dream about it.
Rotti is another big win: a thin, crispy flatbread, often filled with eggs, cheese, or vegetables. Seriously, it's the ultimate street food snack. Try finding at local places. Don't be afraid to experiment. You'll probably find yourself sweating and eating with your hands… part of the fun!
Transportation: Getting Around? Easy or a Nightmare?
Getting to Habarana is a bit of a trek, unless you're flying straight there (which, let's be honest, isn't the point). We went from Colombo by train, which was an experience to say the least. Beautiful scenery, crowded as heck, but a good way to immerse yourself in the culture. Or you can hire a driver, that is a common option too. That would be nice.
Once you're in Habarana, tuk-tuks are your best friend. Cheap, cheerful, and perfect for zipping around. You can hire a driver for the day for exploring the surrounding areas. Just agree on a price beforehand. I might have overpaid once or twice.
Any Regrets? Anything I Should Have Done Differently?
Okay, honesty time. I probably should’ve packed more sunscreen (roasted). And, yes, I definitely couldHotel Whisperer