Escape to Paradise: Santa Marta's Best Western Plus Awaits!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we’re diving headfirst into the Best Western Plus Santa Marta experience – aka “Escape to Paradise” (their words, not mine… but they’re onto something). This isn't just a hotel review; it's a full-blown experience review. Think less sterile travel blogger and more… your slightly disorganized, overly enthusiastic friend who just got back from an epic vacation.
First Impressions: Arrival and Accessibility - Not Quite Paradise Found, But Close
Okay, let's get real. Travel, even "paradise" travel, isn't always sunshine and rainbows. First, finding the place. Then, well, this is where the "A" in accessibility starts to matter. The Best Western Plus Santa Marta… it's generally pretty good on this front. Elevators? Check. Ramps? Mostly check. I’m no wheelchair user, but I did notice ramps and accessible rooms listed (a big plus). However, the hallways felt a little tight with luggage, so imagine navigating them with a wheelchair, but overall, it's way better than some of the clunkier places I've been.
Accessibility (Deep Dive):
- Wheelchair accessible: Yep, they say it, and from what I observed, they mean it. That's a HUGE win for a lot of travelers.
- Elevator: Essential. Absolutely essential.
- Facilities for disabled guests: I didn't personally use them, but knowing they exist is comforting.
So, score one for inclusivity! And that's before we even get to the pool.
The Wi-Fi Wilderness (and, Yes, It’s Free!)
Okay, important stuff. Internet. Because, let’s be honest, in the modern world, no Wi-Fi = sheer panic. Here's the good news: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Big, emphatic, sigh of relief. And, from what I can tell, it's pretty stable. I actually got some work done (shhhh, don't tell my boss), streamed some movies (hello, on-demand!), and generally stayed connected.
- Internet Access (The Details):
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms: Bless them.
- Internet [LAN]: Still a thing! For the seriously tech-inclined, or those of us who remember life before Wi-Fi.
*Rooms: My Personal Paradise (Almost)
The actual rooms? Pretty darn good. Spacious, clean (crucial!), and packed with all the essentials.
Available in all rooms:
- Air conditioning: Needed. Santa Marta is hot. Like, REALLY hot.
- Alarm clock: Always a good idea, assuming you're not the type who sleeps through anything.
- Bathrobes: Fancy!
- Bathroom phone: Who even uses these anymore? But hey, it's there.
- Bathtub: Ah, the classic hotel tub.
- Blackout curtains: Essential for sleeping in and recovering from the previous night's mojito shenanigans.
- Carpeting: Standard.
- Closet: Yep, where I dumped most of my stuff.
- Coffee/tea maker: Important. Especially in the morning.
- Complimentary tea: Nice touch.
- Daily housekeeping: Thank you, overworked and underappreciated staff. You’re amazing.
- Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
My room was generally spotless, and the bed was comfortable. The air conditioning worked like a charm, which was a lifesaver. The only tiny, tiny, minuscule complaint? The bathroom door squeaked. But hey, I’m being nitpicky.
Room Sanitization:
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Great peace of mind. Room Decorations:
- Room decorations: nothing spectacular, pretty standard.
Food, Glorious Food! A Buffet Bonanza (and Some Quirks)
The dining situation… oh, the dining situation. It's complex. Let's break it down.
Breakfast [buffet]: This is where you start your day and is my personal favorite. It's a buffet. A good buffet, with plenty of options. A little bit of everything. And that is so important when you are getting your day's energy.
- Asian breakfast: The inclusion is a plus.
- Western breakfast: The usual suspects are there.
- A la carte in restaurant Yes to the options.
- Buffet in restaurant It is a buffet…
- Coffee/tea in restaurant Coffee is a must!
- Bar A few drinks are never a bad choice
- Restaurants: Variety is the spice of life! Variety of dining options helps.
- Poolside bar Always a perfect scenario!
- Vegetarian restaurant I always appreciate the variety and choices.
- Desserts in restaurant So many choices!
- Alternative meal arrangement: Great for specific needs!
Poolside Bar: Essential for those lazy poolside days. They had some delicious cocktails, and the service was friendly.
Hygiene Certification, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Safe dining setup: I knew this was important, and it made the dining experience feel safer.
Things to Relax, Escape, and Just Generally Chill Out
Okay, let's talk relaxation. That’s the name of the game, right?
- Swimming pool: Yep, there it is, shining and blue.
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: The only kind there is to me.
- Sauna: Yes. Sauna is my favorite relaxation thing.
- Spa/sauna: Both is even better
- Fitness center/Gym/fitness: For those of you with more willpower than me.
- Massage Heaven.
*I spent *way* too much time lounging by the pool. There's a "pool with view," although I'm not entirely sure what the view was, beyond the pool itself and a few palm trees -- it's still good, whatever.*
Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Safe, Not Scared
Okay, let's talk about the elephant in the room (or, well, the potential threat of… things): security.
CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Non-smoking rooms, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms: This is good, and it is important.
Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Staff trained in safety protocol: This is good and makes you feel much more comfortable!
For the Kids and Family
- Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal, Babysitting service: I don’t have kids, but I saw little ones having a grand time, so it seems the hotel is equipped.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Make a Big Difference
- Concierge: Helpful and efficient.
- Daily housekeeping: Thank you, overworked and underappreciated staff. You’re amazing.
- Doorman: Welcome!
- Elevator: Essential.
- Laundry service: Always a plus.
- Luggage storage: Very convenient.
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site] Free parking and car park.
- Cash withdrawal, Currency exchange: Very convient!
Getting Around
- Airport transfer, Taxi service, Valet parking: Easy Peasy!
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site] Free parking and car park.
- Bicycle parking Perfect!
The Verdict: Should You Escape to Paradise?
Overall, the Best Western Plus Santa Marta is definitely worth considering. It's not perfect, but it's comfortable, clean, and packed with amenities.
Final Score: 4 out of 5 Stars (a solid A-).
The “Escape to Paradise: Santa Marta's Best Western Plus Awaits!" Offer:
Tired of the ordinary? Craving an escape? Then prepare to be swept away by the Best Western Plus Santa Marta!
Here's what makes YOUR escape unforgettable:
- Unwind in spacious, air-conditioned rooms – your
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your glossy magazine itinerary. This is real life in Santa Marta, Colombia, from the questionable AC to the most glorious sunsets. And this, my friends, is my Best Western Plus Santa Marta adventure, ripped straight from my slightly frazzled brain.
Day 1: Arrival & The (Potentially Humid) Adjustment
- 1:00 PM (ish): Land in Santa Marta. The air hits you like a warm, sticky hug. I immediately regretted my long-sleeved shirt. Seriously, I don't know why I pack like I'm going to the Arctic. The luggage carousel, bless its heart, seemed to be operating on Colombian time, which is roughly equivalent to "whenever." Eventually, my bag appears, looking suspiciously like it spent the layover partying.
- 2:00 PM: Taxi to the Best Western Plus. Okay, first observation: the drivers here really honk. Like, a lot. Is it a greeting? A warning? An existential cry for connection? I haven't figured it out yet. The hotel. Ah, the hotel. It's… fine. Cleanish. The AC, however, is playing a game of "will it or won't it?" with my comfort. The humidity is already winning.
- 3:00 PM: Check-in. The staff is lovely, bless their hearts, and tries to understand my broken Spanglish. "Habitación con vista al mar…" I hope so! Because I could use a good view right now.
- 4:00 PM: Room chaos unleashed. The room is okay, but the view is… mostly other buildings. But hey, at least the AC is kinda working. First impressions are fine. I feel like a fish ready to dive down a dive the ocean.
- 5:00 PM: Poolside chaos - I just want to swim but the pool bar is packed. Then, I ask for my food order and the waiter speaks to me so fast that I wasn't able to understand anything. I'll just stick to the pool for now, because it's the best place to be in the hotel right now.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a local restaurant. "El Correo" - is the restaurant name, that I had some luck choosing. Fresh seafood. A little too much oil, but delicious nonetheless. The best part? Watching the locals. Colombians are lively people!
Day 2: Tayrona National Park - A Sweat-Drenched, Sand-Filled Saga
Okay, prepare yourself. This is the day I thought I had planned perfectly. Spoiler alert: I did not.
- 7:00 AM: Wake up. Breakfast at the hotel. Actually, the breakfast is not bad! The fruit is amazing! And the eggs… passable.
- 8:00 AM: The Tayrona Adventure Begins! The bus ride is… an experience. The scenery is beautiful. I mean, breathtaking. Mountains reaching for the sky, lush green vegetation, the sea… oh, the sea! The driver is blasting reggaeton, which I'm slowly getting used to.
- 9:00 AM: We arrive. The park entrance. The heat is already oppressive. The hike is challenging. And by challenging, I mean murder. I'm sweating in places I didn't know I could sweat. My carefully applied sunscreen has long since melted off.
- 10:00 AM: The first beach. Crystalline water. White sand. Paradise. Except I’m still sweating buckets. I jump in the water. Pure bliss. For about five minutes. Then the waves start slamming me around.
- 11:00 AM: The hike continues. More hills. More sweat. More sand in places I don't want sand. I'm starting to question all my life choices.
- 12:00 PM: The second beach. Even more beautiful. The sea is calmer here. I find some shade. Eat my ridiculously overpriced fruit. I try to enjoy the moment. I actually start to enjoy the moment.
- 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM: The return hike, by far, the worst part of the trip. I'm a human puddle. My face is red. I stumble. I curse the gods of fitness. But damn, the scenery is worth it.
- 4:00 PM: Back at the hotel. Shower. Glorious, life-affirming shower.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner, back in the city. More seafood. More attempts at speaking Spanish. More satisfaction.
- 8:00 PM: I've found a little bar. I drink a beer and watch the world go by. This is definitely the life.
Day 3: The City, A Little Exploration, and a (Potentially Awkward) Sunset
- 9:00 AM: Sleep in! I slept so well!
- 10:00 AM: Breakfast. This time, I'm going to be adventurous and try something that I have no idea what it is!
- 11:00 AM: City exploration! I go to the Gold Museum, which, surprisingly, is pretty good. And the architecture! The colors! Then I walk around the streets of the historical center. I'm a little lost.
- 2:00 PM: Lunch at a café. Trying to order is an adventure. I point a lot. I gesture. I laugh. And eventually… food arrives.
- 4:00 PM: Sunset at the marina. Supposed to be amazing. Okay, it is amazing. Golden light, boats bobbing in the water. The atmosphere is perfect. Then, a group of well-dressed people arrives and starts blasting music. I sigh.
- 6:00 PM: Trying to have dinner. I go to a restaurant near the hotel. The food is very average. I swear, a slice of pizza is making more sense that what I order.
- 7:00 PM: The hotel! I'm exhausted. I should just sleep.
Day 4: Beach Time (Or Maybe Just Lounging By the Pool)
- 9:00 AM: Wake up, the sun will come.
- 10:00 AM: Breakfast, again, delicious.
- 11:00 AM: Beach time! I think. Actually, I'm pretty content to spend the day by the pool. Reading. Swimming. Avoiding the sun.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch at the hotel.
- 3:00 PM: More relaxing. My skin is starting to peel.
- 6:00 PM: More dinner.
- 7:00 PM: Packing. Ugh. I don't want to leave.
Day 5: Departure (And A Thousand Memories)
- 6:00 AM: Wake up.
- 7:00 AM: Breakfast. Last chance for mangoes!
- 8:00 AM: Check out.
- 9:00 AM: Taxi to the airport. Farewell, Santa Marta! You were sweaty, challenging, and frustrating at times, but somehow, I loved every minute of it.
- Departure - It was the best trip ever!
Escape to Paradise: Santa Marta's Best Western Plus Awaits! (& My Brain in Overdrive) - FAQs
So, is this Best Western *actually* paradise, or a cleverly marketed illusion? I'm cynical, you know?
Plus, the pool. Don't discount the pool. That's where the magic REALLY starts.
What's the deal with the rooms? Are they actually clean? Because bed bugs are my *nightmare*.
Seriously though. The rooms themselves are… standard. Comfy enough beds, functional AC (a lifesaver!), and a decent view (if you're lucky and get one facing the sea). Don't expect palatial suites, but you're not paying palazzo prices either.
The breakfast buffet...tell me everything. I live for a good buffet.
One morning I'm there, right, and I'm *starving*. I'm talking, "could eat a whole cow" starving. I charge in, eyes glinting with the promise of carbs and more carbs. There's eggs, the usual suspects, some fruit that looks deceptively appealing, and… *are those...are those arepas?* (For the uninitiated: arepas are basically cornmeal cakes. They are *life*).
I proceeded to build a tower of arepas, a mountain of eggs, and a small fort of fresh fruit. I ate enough to feed a small army. And you know what? It was *glorious*. It was the pinnacle of my entire existence at that precise moment.
Then, the next day? The arepas were a little...stale. The coffee tasted like it had been brewed in a rusty bucket. It was still edible, mind you, but it wasn't the same. The fickle nature of buffets, eh? Just have realistic expectations, people.
They did have a "make your own omelet" station though. That's always a win in my book.
Is it noisy? I value my sleep.
One morning, I was rudely awakened at 6 AM...by a *full-blown mariachi band* playing outside my window. I’m talking trumpets, guitars, the works. Turns out, some wedding party decided to serenade the entire town. I just lay there, in a half-daze, thinking, "Well, this is… certainly an experience." After 5 minutes I got up just to close the window and get back to sleep and I fell back asleep a few minutes later with the sound of the mariachi band.
So, yeah, earplugs are your friend. Invest in them. Seriously. Unless you *love* mariachi bands. Then maybe you're good?
What's nearby? Is it easy to get around?
But let me tell you about the taxis. Ah, the taxis. They're ubiquitous, they're cheap, and they're… an experience in themselves. You'll get honked at. You'll get offered a ride from every other person walking by. You’ll haggle. You'll probably sweat. But hey, it's part of the charm!
You can also use apps like Uber or the local equivalent. But the taxis… they're the *real* Santa Marta experience, in my humble, slightly paranoid opinion. You can get a ride. You can walk around. It's up to you.
Any tips for making the most of my trip, based on your… experience?
- Embrace the chaos. Santa Marta is… vibrant. Things happen. Don't try to control everything. Just roll with it.
- Learn a few basic Spanish phrases. Even "Hola" and "gracias" will go a long way.
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! Seriously. The sun is *fierce*.
- Drink plenty of water. Dehydration is your enemy.
- Go to Tayrona National Park. Seriously. Go. It's an hour-ish away, but absolutely worth it. Book your entry in advance, and prepare to hike!
- Try all the fruit. They are amazing, and so different than what you get back home.
- Don't be afraid to venture out of the hotel. Explore the city! Explore the beaches! Get lost a little!
- **Okay, I'M doubling back on this. Go on a boat trip to the nearby beaches, such as Playa Cristal. It’s stunning. That water… pure turquoise. Absolutely breathtaking. I did a boat trip with a guy named Pablo. He was friendly, pointed out dolphins and pointed out local places to eat. The food? Delicious. The memories? Priceless.**
- Earplugs. Did I mention earplugs?
And most importantly? Be prepared for theCozy Stay Spots