Escape to Russia's Hidden Gem: Hotel Aurora Smolensk Awaits!
Escape to Russia's Hidden Gem: Hotel Aurora Smolensk Awaits! - A Review That's More Vodka Than Vodka Soda (and Definitely Not Sponsored!)
Alright, folks, buckle up. We're diving headfirst into the Hotel Aurora Smolensk. Forget your pristine, perfectly curated travel blogs. This is REAL. This is messy. This is… well, hopefully, it's fun. Let's see if this Russian "hidden gem" actually sparkles.
First off, let's be honest, the city of Smolensk itself is a bit of a journey. Getting there is a story in itself, especially if you're like me and managed to lose your phrasebook and your sense of direction at the Moscow airport. But hey, the journey is the destination, right? (Except when it's not, and you're stuck in a bus for 6 hours. But I digress!)
Accessibility: Not a Tsar's Decree, But…
Okay, so "accessibility" in Russia isn't exactly at Western standards. The hotel claims to have facilities for disabled guests. I didn't personally test every crevice mind you, but the elevator, at least, was working and seemed to be wide enough for a wheelchair (probably). Still, my advice? Call ahead. Confirm EVERYTHING if accessibility is a primary concern. Don't just take my word, or the hotel's!
Internet Chaos – Or, the Case of the Disappearing Wi-Fi
Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet Services, Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, Wi-Fi in public areas, Wi-Fi for special events
The internet at the Aurora? Mixed bag, baby, mixed bag. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! - well, kind of. It was there, then it wasn't. Then it was slow enough to make dial-up blush. The public areas? Ditto. It's Russia, so expect a bit of digital mystery! I'm talking, Russian spy levels of instability. And the LAN? I wouldn’t even bother. The hotel has to give you the password, and I'm betting it's a riddle. My advice? Pack a good book (or several). Or, learn to embrace the glorious absence of constant connectivity. Honestly, it's kind of liberating.
Cleanliness and Safety: Did the Vodka Kill the Germs?
Anti-viral cleaning products, Breakfast takeaway service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Fire extinguisher, First aid kit, Non-smoking rooms, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms
Okay, this is where the Aurora actually shines. In the post-pandemic world, I’m a clean freak. The Aurora seemed to get it. Lots of hand sanitizer stations, staff seemed super-conscious about the 1-meter spacing, and the rooms? I'm assuming they were properly sanitized after the last occupant. They even had the opt-out option for daily room service - I’d say it's a good sign. I also felt pretty safe. There was security everywhere and the place felt well-lit.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Russian Soul (and Stomach)
A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant
Ah, the food! The lifeblood of any trip, especially in Russia! The Aurora's got options, folks. A buffet breakfast? Check. International cuisine? Check. A bar? Double-check!
The breakfast buffet…it was a rollercoaster. Seriously. One day, a glorious spread of fresh fruit, pastries, and even some… questionable looking sausages. The next day? More like a scaled-down, post-apocalyptic version. My advice? Arrive early. Eat everything. Then go back for more. And don't be afraid to try the "Asian" breakfast. I’m pretty sure it was just the same stuff as the Western breakfast, but with a slightly different name. The coffee was meh, though the tea was actually pretty decent.
The bar? Excellent. Happy hour was a must. And their selection of local vodkas? Don't question it. Just sample. Responsibly, of course… (cough). They also have a 24-hour room service with a pretty extensive menu.
Services and Conveniences: The Perks, The Quirks, The… Elevator?
Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center, Airport transfer, Babysitting service, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking.
The Aurora is surprisingly well-equipped. The concierge was helpful (when you could find them), the daily housekeeping was on point, and the elevators are there (that's always a plus). They had a business center, a convenience store (stocked with… necessities), laundry, and all the usual bits and bobs. The on-site car parking, thankfully, was also free.
For the Kids: Are They Kid-Friendly?
Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal
I didn't see any families with kids, but they do have babysitting and kids' meals on offer. I imagine it's a safe bet for family travel.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax: Beyond the Tourist Trail
Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]
Alright, so this is where the Aurora REALLY surprised me. They’ve got the full spa shebang. I'm talking, pool with a view! (of Smolensk, which, let's be honest, isn't exactly the Swiss Alps, but it's still a good view). The spa was genuinely lovely. I splurged and had a body scrub and… well, let’s just say I felt like a new person afterwards. The sauna was legit. The steam room? Steamy. The fitness center? I did not attempt to use it. (Too much vodka and delicious breakfast sausage.)
The Rooms: A Mix of Modern and… Russian
Available in all rooms, Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
The rooms at the Aurora are pretty decent. Clean, comfortable enough, and with all the usual amenities. The beds were comfortable. The air conditioning worked (a lifesaver during the summer). The free bottled water was a nice touch (always drink bottled water in Russia, trust me). And the robes were fluffy! (I may or may not have worn mine to breakfast).
My biggest complaint? The decor! It was modern, but… a bit bland for Russia. I was sort of hoping for a room filled with ornate carvings, and a touch of Soviet glamour, but alas, it was more minimalist Ikea than Tsarist palace.
Getting Around: Navigating the Russian Roads
Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking.
The hotel offers airport transfers, which I highly recommend. Taxis are available, too. The area is somewhat walkable, but Smolensk's charm is really in the city center.
**Final Verdict: Is the Aurora a
Escape to Katra: OYO Hotel Satya Shree Awaits!Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's travel itinerary. This is my post-Soviet Aurora Hotel, Smolensk, Russia, adventure schedule – warts and all, overflowing with questionable decisions, existential dread, and the vague aroma of stale cigarettes. Prepare yourselves.
Day 1: Arrival and the Crushing Weight of History (and Luggage)
- Morning (ish): Landed in Moscow. Ugh. Fly out to Smolensk, that was a flight…I think. Honestly, I was so terrified of accidentally ordering borscht at 3 am in this country. Anyway, hopped on a (suspiciously clean) train to Smolensk. The scenery was… well, it was Russia, alright. Acres and acres of birch trees looking like they were posing directly for a monochrome painting. The train had a babushka selling pickles (yes, actual pickles), and I almost bought one just for the experience. Almost. My stomach, however, vetoed the idea.
- Afternoon: Arrived at the Hotel Aurora. "Aurora," huh? Sounds romantic, like a spaceship heading to some alien planet. More like an older, slightly worn ship. Check-in was a ballet of broken English and furrowed brows. The woman behind the counter looked like she’d seen things, and frankly, after a few days in Russia, I started feeling like I'd seen things too. My room… well, it had a bed, a TV that only showed Russian game shows, and a view of a bleak courtyard. It was functional. And the wallpaper… let's just say it was a bold shade of beige.
- Evening: Took the Metro, what a ride! Found a "traditional" restaurant near Smolensk Fortress, all dimly lit and heavy with the smell of meat. The pierogi were actually pretty good. Tried to order vodka, thinking it'd be a bonding experience. Ended up with some fiery concoction that burned all the way down and made me slightly more paranoid. The Fortress itself loomed, massive and silent, a reminder of all the times Smolensk has been… well, obliterated. Started feeling the weight of history, and the weight of my questionable vodka choices.
Day 2: Fortress Fears and Museum Melancholy
- Morning: Okay, so after that vodka, I slept in. Way in. Finally dragged myself out of bed, nursing a headache and a burgeoning anxiety about the state of civilization. Wandered around some of the courtyards. Still that bleak courtyard view. Went to the Smolensk Fortress. It was genuinely impressive, but also… intensely sad. Each crumbling brick seemed to whisper tales of war and siege and utter devastation. Got a bit obsessed with the idea of being buried alive under the fortress walls. Not the best headspace for sightseeing, tbh.
- Afternoon: Visited the Smolensk State Museum. Lots of history. Lots of paintings of stern-faced Russian nobles. Lots of relics from various wars. The guide, a woman with a steely gaze and a voice like gravel, seemed personally offended that I didn't know more about the Napoleonic invasion. Started questioning all my life choices. Decided I needed a nap. Or maybe a stiff drink.
- Evening: Wandered around the Glinka Street. The sunset was beautiful, but also, like, the same. Felt like a ghost in a movie. Found a small café and tried to communicate with the barista. I think I got a coffee. Spent the evening watching Russian television. The game shows are fascinating.
Day 3: Church Bells and the Existential Dread of Souvenir Shopping, then a Glorious Meltdown
- Morning: Visited the Uspensky Cathedral. Its gold domes were breathtaking, I'll give it that. The interior was filled with icons and candle smoke and a sense of… overwhelming spirituality. Or maybe it was just the lingering effects of the vodka. The bells started ringing at one point, and I almost wept. Not from religious fervor, mind you, but from the sheer weight of being in a strange place, feeling utterly lost.
- Afternoon: Souvenir shopping. Oh, the souvenir shopping. I wanted to get something that said, "I survived Russia," in a non-cliched way. Ended up buying a babushka doll with a vaguely menacing expression, a shot glass with the hotel's name (ironically), and a hat made from something that might have once been a sheep. Felt like a chump. Found a park and sat by the fountain, watching the pigeons. Started wondering if pigeons in Russia were somehow different.
- Evening: The M.O. ment. So, okay, full disclosure: this is where things go sideways. Went back to the Aurora for a "quick nap" before dinner. Woke up two hours later, convinced I'd missed dinner, the apocalypse, and my flight home all in one glorious swoop. I wanted to cry. The beige wallpaper, the dour courtyard view, the babushka doll… they were all mocking me. I lost it. I mean, proper lost it. Ran down to the lobby, yelling about the meaning of life, the historical significance of potatoes, and my profound inability to understand the Cyrillic alphabet. The woman at the front desk just stared. Honestly, I wouldn't have blamed her if she'd called security. Instead, she handed me a tissue. And then, she smiled. A genuine, almost kind smile. I don't know what it meant.
Day 4: Leaving (and Lingering Feelings)
- Morning: Checked out of the Hotel Aurora. Said goodbye to the beige wallpaper. The whole thing was almost… surreal.
- Afternoon: Flew out of Moscow. The flight felt like floating.
- Evening: Back home. The world felt strange, and familiar all at the same time. I didn't buy that one bottle of vodka at the airport, but now I think I want it.
Final Thoughts:
Russia: fascinating, frustrating, and exhausting. The Hotel Aurora: a mixed experience. I’m not sure I’m "better" for having gone. But I think perhaps I needed to know the world is messy. And that occasionally, you just have to lose it in the lobby of a slightly dilapidated hotel in a city steeped in history. I really want to go again.
Yogyakarta's Hidden Gem: OYO 93599 Homestay Bambu Oerip Syariah (Must-See!)